MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, FEBRUARY 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 4 – ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What is ecological amplitude?
2. What are bio-filters?
3. Explain survival thresholds.
4. What is ecological balance?
5. Explain ecads.
6. What are bio-scrubbers?
7. What is food web?
8. Explain energy flow.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Describe the term Global warming.
10. Explain ex-situ and in-situ conservation techniques.
11. Explain Sorenson’s index of similarity.
12. What are the factors affecting population growth?
13. Differentiate primary and secondary productivity.
14. What are the applications of remote sensing in environmental studies?
15. Explain edge effect.
16. What are the major causes of air-pollution?
17. Write notes on greenhouse gases.
18. Explain phytoremediation.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Suggest methods for the conservation of biodiversity.
20. What are the major factors responsible for climate change?
21. What are the causes and hazardous effects of radioactive pollution?