B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, OCTOBER 2012
Core Course – CELL, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION
(Common for B.Sc. Botany Model I and Model II)
Time: Three Hours, Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Fill in the blanks:
1. Low molecular RNA molecules found in the nucleoplasm which facilitate the splicing of introns and other processing reactions is ____________.
2. RNA molecules which can catalyze chemical reactions are called _______________.
3. Survival of the fittest theory was proposed by _________.
4. The essential gene material is _____________.
II. 5 – 8. Multiple Choice Questions- Bunch I:
5. The chemical substance abundantly present in middle lamella is:
6. The plane of cell wall formation is determined by
7. The information transfer from RNA to DNA is called:
d. Reverse transcription
8. Unit of recombination of a gene is called:
III. 9 – 12. Multiple Choice Questions – Bunch II:
9. Identify the factors involved in the formation of new species:
a. Isolation and mutation
b. Competition and variation
c. Isolation and competition
d. Competition and mutation
10. The stain that gives purple or violet colour to chromosomes:
11. Tonoplast encloses:
b. Vacuolar sap
12. Chromosomes are made up of structural units called:
IV. 13 – 16. State True or False:
13. Lamp-brush chromosomes are found in germ cells of mammals.
14. Nucleolus contains RNA and protein.
15. Ribosomes contain highest percentage of RNA.
16. Proponent of mutation theory is Charles Darwin.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is iRNA?
18. Define karyotype.
19. What are nucleosides?
20. What are the constituents of vacuoles?
21. What are quantasomes?
22. What is cistron?
23. What is synthesis theory?
24. What are dctyosomes?
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Explain B chromosome.
26. Explain gene therapy.
27. Explain euploidy.
28. Write notes on chemical mutagens.
29. Explain semi-conservative replication of DNA.
30. Define metastasis.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Give an account of the structural changes of chromosomes.
32. Explain the types of structure of RNA
33. Mention the theories of evolution.