B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER 2009
Core Course – METHODOLOGY AND PERSPECTIVES OF SCIENCE AND AN INTRODUCTION TO THE WORLD OF PLANT DIVERSITY
[Common for the Programmes of B.Sc. Botany Model I., Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology (Double Core)]
Time: Three Hours, Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. Fill in the blanks:
1. Diplanetism is exhibited by _______________.
2. Pit connections are found in _______________.
3. Virus is isolated by _______________.
4. The elaters are hydroscopic in nature and so serve in the dispersal of ______________.
II.State True or False:
5. Gibberrellin was extracted from a fungus.
6. Alexopoulos is concerned with the classification of bacteria.
7. Bacterium eater is cyanophage.
8. Obliquely septate rhizoids are found in Riccia.
III. Match the following:
9. Clamp connection – Selaginella
10. Coralloid root – Williamsonia
11. Circinate vernation – Palaeobotany
12. Heterospory – Cycas
IV. Name the following:
13. Give an example of heteroecious fungus.
14. In which genus gemmae cup is seen?
15. Give an example for fruiticose lichen.
16. Name the plant which is known as stoneworts.
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is protonema?
18. Define replication and treatment.
19. Differentiate between molar and molal solution.
20. What is a pico-mole?
21. Define peristome.
22. Give the botanical names of two edible fungi.
23. Which is the characteristic pigment in red algae?
24. Define endospore.
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Why Lichens are not found in Delhi, or absent/rare in cities? What conclusion can you draw from this to the physiology of lichens?
26. Point out the difference between apothecium and cleistothecium.
27. What are the common pigments present in algae? State the importance of these pigments in the classification of algae.
28. Discuss the evolutionary advancements of Musci over liverworts.
29. List out the characteristic features of mangroves. Write down its significance also.
30. Design an experiment to demonstrate that different concentrations of GA3 effect inter nodal elongation in pea plants.
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Explain the characteristic features of Pteridophytes. Outline life history of Pteridophyte with a diagram.
32. List out the advantages and disadvantages of the scientific methods.
33. With an illustrated account of the life cycle of a gymnosperm, add a note on its economic importance.