B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, APRIL 2013
Core Course – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
(Common for B.Sc. Botany Model I, Model II and BSc Botany and Biotechnology – Double Core)
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices bunch I:
1. Root pressure is developed in:
2. E.C. number of the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase is:
3. Rieske centre is
a. Cytochrome b6-f complex
b. Core complex I
c. Core complex II
d. Cty a – a3
4. Which of the following is not an oligosaccharide?
II. 5 – 8. Multiple choices bunch II:
5. Triple response of etiolated pea seedlings is caused by
6. In plants richest source of phytochrome are
a. Etiolated seedlings
b. Seedlings grown in light
7. Which of the following is not a saturated fatty acid?
a. Lauric acid
b. Myristic acid
c. Palmitic acid
d. Oleic aci
8. Stomata open at night in:
a. C3 plants
c. C4 plants
d. None of these
III. 9 – 12. Fill in the blanks:
9. Water potential is denoted by the Greek letter _____________.
10. ____________ is the transfer of sugars from mesophyll cell to sieve tube elements in the leaf.
11. Photolysis of water occurs in __________ photophosphorylation.
12. Site of glycolysis is _____________.
IV. 13 – 16. State True or False:
13. Concentration of ABA is increased in water stressed plants.
14. Transpiration is measured by an instrument called manometer.
15. Spinach is a LDP.
16. Tropical plants are most susceptible to frost injury than temperate plants.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What are anti-transpirants? Give examples.
18. What is red drop?
19. Define an allelochemical.
20. What are isoprenoids?
21. What is RQ?
22. Define Vernalization.
23. What is pH?
24. Define Vmax
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Enumerate the physiological role of Gibberellin.
26. Explain the pressure flow hypothesis of Munch.
27. Describe K+ ion exchange theory of stomata.
28. Explain the secondary structure of proteins.
29. Describe the mechanism of the active absorption of mineral salts.
30. Draw the schematic representation of Photorespiration.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Give an account of the mechanism of enzyme action.
32. Trace the path of carbon in photosynthesis.
33. With a schematic representation explain Kreb cycle.