MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE EXAMINATION, JANUARY 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PAPER – IX – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
(Prior to 2012 Admission)
Time: Three Hours Maximum: 75 Marks
Section A (Plant Physiology)
I. Answer any two of the following: (2 X 7 = 14 Marks)
1. Explain electron transport system and chemiosmotic mechanism of ATP formation.
2. Types of seed dormancy and the mechanism to break dormancy.
3. Discuss the photosynthetic efficiencies of C3, C4 and CAM plants.
II. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 4 = 12 Marks)
4. Membrane transport proteins.
5. Photo reversible pigment.
6. Give an account of microbial photosynthesis.
7. Give an account of the photosystems as the component of the electron chain.
8. Explain briefly the physiology of fruit ripening.
III. Answer any five of the following: (5 X 2 = 10 Marks)
9. Antenna chlorophyll.
10. Calcium as a signaling molecule.
11. Role of K+ ions in stomatal opening and closing
12. Apparent free space.
13. Ecological implications of photorespiration.
14. Explain glycolate metabolism.
15. Write notes on aeroponics and hydroponics.
16. Physiological effect of gibberellins.
IV. Answer any nine of the following: (9 X 1 = 9 Marks)
17. ABA and seed germination.
19. Circadian rhythm
20. Climateric fruits
21. Scotophile phase
22. Nyctinastic plants
24. Stress tolerance
28. Photoblastic seeds
Section B (Biochemistry)
V. Answer any one of the following: (1 X 7 = 7 Marks)
29. Describe the methodologies of DNA sequencing and comment on its applications.
30. Give an account of the structure, properties and classification of amino acids.
VI. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 4 = 12 Marks)
31. Discuss the role of PCR technique
32. What are lectins? Mention their importance.
33. Explain the tertiary structure of proteins.
34. Biosynthesis of nitrogen bases in nucleic acids.
35. Give an account of the application of buffers in biology.
VII. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 2 = 6 Marks)
37. Significance of Km value
38. ß-plated sheet
39. Oligomeric proteins
40. Structure of sucrose
VIII. Answer any five of the following: (5 X 1 = 5 Marks)
41. Acetyl CoA
44. Isoelectric point