B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, APRIL 2012
Core Course – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
(Common for B.Sc. Botany Model I, Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology – Double Core)
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices, Bunch I:
1. Transpiration is measured by:
2. Plasma membrane is permeable for:
a. Water and gases
b. Nucleic acids
3. Discovery of Emmerson effect has shown the existence of:
a. Light and dark reaction in photosynthesis
b. Two distinct photochemical reactions.
4. A Nobel laureate for working out the early carbon pathway photosynthesis
II. 5 – 8. Multiple choices, Bunch II:
5. Photorespiration occurs in;
a. C3 plants
b. C4 plants
d. All plants
6. The principal and naturally occurring auxin in higher plant is:
d. 2, 4-D
7. Which of the following is not an anti-transpirant?
c. Silicon oil
8. The hormone which can replace vernalization:
III. 9 – 12. Fill in the blanks:
9. The role of photosystem I is ____________.
10. First stable product in C3 cycle is _____________.
11. Turgidity of cell is maintained by _________________ pressure.
12. Starch sugar conversion hypothesis of the stomata opening was proposed by _____.
IV. 13 – 16. State True or False:
13. Cell becomes turgid when placed in hypotonic solution
14. Root pressure develops due to active absorption
15. Ca is a trace element
16. Transpiration pull cause an increase in turgor pressure.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What are quantasomes?
18. What is RUBISCO?
19. What is photorespiration?
20. What is wall pressure?
21. What is red drop?
22. What is RQ?
23. What is pH?
24. What are buffers?
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Explain Kranz anatomy.
26. Discuss briefly the significance of photorespiration.
27. Describe the role of ABA in plants.
28. Describe the physiological adaptation shown by CAM plants.
29. Describe ß-oxidation of fatty acids.
30. Explain compound lipids.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Describe the biological role of plant hormones.
32. Transpiration is a necessary evil. Justify.
33. Give an account of electron transport system and oxidative phosphorylation.