MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, JANUARY 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 10 – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND PLANT BREEDING
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. Describe the structure and functions of RuBisco.
2. Briefly explain the nodule formation in legumes.
3. Explain circadian rhythms.
4. Describe the structures of nitrogenase complex.
5. Describe the structure and composition of reaction centre.
6. What is photoinhibition? State its importance.
7. Describe theories of active transport.
8. Explain the role of mycorrhiza in nutrient uptake.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Explain EMP pathway.
10. Discuss the contributions of N.E. Bourlauge and M.S. Swaminathan towards green revolution.
11. Explain the important achievement of Mutation breeding.
12. Describe mass flow hypothesis.
13. Describe the molecular mechanism involved in biological nitrogen fixation.
14. Explain the methods of plant breeding to develop disease resistant varieties.
15. Explain the method of root nodule formation in legumes. What is the role of nitrogenase enzyme in biological nitrogen fixation?
16. Describe the structure and function of Phytochrome.
17. Write short notes on: (i) Elicitors, (ii) Thylakoid electron transport inhibitors, (iii) CAM pathway
18. Describe glyoxylate cycle.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Write an essay on Modern trends in Plant Breeding.
20. Write an essay on mitochondrial electron transport and ATP synthesis. Compare it with chloroplast ATP synthesis.
21. Write an essay on Plant growth regulators with reference to its biosynthesis, physiological effect and mechanism of action.