MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, FEBRUARY 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 2 – MYCOLOGY AND CROP PATHOLOGY
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What is mycoparasitism?
2. What is incubation period?
3. What are coprophilous fungi? Give example.
4. Explain disease endurance.
5. Describe Pseudomycelium.
6. What are the common symptoms of viral disease in plants?
7. Name two fungal parasites in humans.
8. Differentiate ascospores and basidiospores.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Write notes on common fungicides.
10. Write notes on para-sexuality in fungi.
11. Give an account of the toxins in pathogenesis.
12. Explain the importance of mycorrhiza in crop production.
13. Explain disease transmission through vectors.
14. Give an account of spore dissemination in fungi.
15. What are the symptoms of blast disease of rice?
16. What are the salient features of fungi imperfectii?
17. Write an account of powdery mildew of rubber.
18. Describe the asexual reproduction in fungi.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Describe the role of fungi in agricultural biotechnology.
20. Describe the fruiting bodies of fungi.
21. Explain the biotechnological approaches to disease resistance.