MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, FEBRUARY 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 1 – MICROBIOLOGY AND PHYCOLOGY
(2012 Admission onwards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What is Kelp?
2. Name the authentic book that gives recent classification of bacteria. Which is the current volume?
3. What is the function of pyrenoid?
4. What is meant by a strain?
5. What are leucophytes?
6. What are transposons?
7. What is the function of stigma?
8. What are prions?
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. What are the physiological characteristics useful in bacterial classification?
10. Give examples of algae used as food.
11. Explain the use of 16S rRNA in the characterization of bacteria.
12. What are the different methods of vegetative reproduction in algae?
13. What are helical viruses? Give examples.
14. Explain trigenetic life-cycle.
15. Differentiate lytic and temperate phages.
16. What are the major pigments seen in Phaeophyta?
17. Give an account of Rickettsias.
18. Describe the industrial uses of algae.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Explain the methods and techniques in algal culture.
20. Briefly explain the modern trends and criteria for algal classification.
21. Describe the methods for isolating pure cultures of bacteria.