B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, OCTOBER 2013
Core Course – CELL, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION
(For B.Sc. Botany Model I and Model II)
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices:
1. The cell theory was proposed by
b. De Vries
d. Schleiden and Schwann
2. The function of nucleolus is the synthesis of
3. The synthesis of RNA from DNA is called:
4. Charles Darwin is the father of:
d. Tissue culture
II. 5 – 8. Fill in the blanks with appropriate word or words
5. __________________ discovered cell nucleus
6. Lamp-brush chromosomes are seen in ____________.
7. Ethyl Methane Sulphonate is a __________ mutagen.
8. Tumour inducing genes are called ____________
III. 9 – 12. State whether true or false:
9. Frederic Miescher discovered nucleic acids
10. Single base change occurs in DNA is called point mutation
11. Stem cells are not pluripotent.
12. Mutations are the back bone of evolution
IV. 13 – 16. Name the following:
13. A chemical used to induce polyploidy
14. Who proposed the Central Dogma?
15. The cell organelle that synthesize proteins
16. A special type of chromosome seen in the salivary gland of insects.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is unit membrane?
18. Define plastids
19. What are nucleosomes?
20. What is aneuploidy?
21. What are stem cells?
22. What is semi-conservative DNA replication?
23. Expand PTC
24. What is tumour metastasis?
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Explain the importance of endoplasmic reticulum
26. Describe the importance of karyotype analysis.
27. Explain the role played by polyploidy in evolution.
28. Briefly describe lactose operon in bacteria
29. Explain how induced mutations are useful.
30. Distinguish the ribosome of eukaryote from that of prokaryote
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Explain the structure chromosomal aberrations and its significance.
32. Describe mitotic cell division and its significance.
33. Describe the structure of DNA double helix.