B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL 2013
Faculty of Sciences
Part III – Group V – Zoology (Main)
Paper V – CELL BIOLOGY, GENETICS, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
Time: Three Hours; Maximum: 52 Marks
Section A (Cell Biology and Genetics)
I. Answer any three of the following (3 X 1 = 3 marks)
1. Name the different stages in a cell cycle.
2. Name two vital stains.
3. What is metastasis?
4. What is Linkage?
5. What are microvillai?
6. What is tautomerism?
II. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 2 = 6 marks)
7. What are tyrosine-kinase receptors?
8. Describe the chemical composition of eukaryotic ribosomes.
9. Define crossing over. Mention its genetic significances.
10. What is Fixation? Mention any two common fixatives.
11. What is epistasis? Describe different types of epistasis.
12. What is cytoplasmic inheritance? Give an example.
III. Answer any two of the following: (2 X 5 = 10 marks)
13. Explain the genetic mechanism behind the formation of different blood groups in human population.
14. Describe the characteristics of cancer cells.
15. Explain the classification of signaling molecules.
16. What are the histones? Explain its role in eukaryotes.
17. Describe the different inter-cellular junctions.
VI. Answer any one of the following: (1 X 7 = 7 marks)
18. Explain oxidative phosphorylation.
19. Explain the different theories on sex determination.
20. Define Mutation? Explain the molecular basis of mutation.
Section B (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology)
V. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 1 = 3 marks)
21. Define reverse transcription.
22. What are plasmids?
23. What is bacterial transduction?
24. What are overlapping genes?
25. What is polymerase chain reaction?
26. What is single cell protein? Give an example.
VI. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 2 = 6 marks)
27. What is bacterial transformation? Mention its significance.
28. What are triplet codons? Explain its features.
29. What are the restriction endonucleases? Give examples.
30. Define organismal cloning? Mention its applications.
31. Describe the contribution of HG. Khorana.
32. What are transposons? Discuss its significance.
VII. Answer any two of the following: (2 X 5 = 10 marks)
33. Describe the structure of B-DNA.
34. Explain Operon concept. Discuss the regulatory mechanisms associated with ‘Lac Operon’.
35. Describe one-gene-one-enzyme hypothesis.
36. What are monoclonal antibodies? Explain the methods for the production of monoclonal antibodies.
37. Write a note on genetically engineered vaccines and hormones. Mention its applications.
VIII. Answer any one of the following: (1 X 7 = 7 marks)
38. Explain the machinery and mechanism of translation.
39. What is DNA fingerprinting? Explain the methodology and applications of DNA fingerprinting.
40. Explain the experiments conducted to demonstrate DNA as the genetic material.