B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, APRIL 2012
Core Course – GENETICS, PLANT BREEDING AND HORTICULTURE
(Common for B.Sc. Botany Model I, Model II and Biotechnology Double core)
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices, Bunch I:
1. The product of hybridization is known as:
2. The process of removing stamens from the flower bud during hybridization is called:
3. A cross made between offspring and its parent is known as:
a. Monohybrid cross
b. Dihybrid cross
c. Back cross
d. Reciprocal cross
4. Bagging is done during:
a. Tissue culture
b. Embryo culture
d. Transgenic plant production
II. 5 – 8. Multiple choices, Bunch II:
5. Alleles of a gene are found on:
a. Same chromosome
b. Homologous chromosome
c. Non homologous chromosome
d. Any chromosome
6. Inheritance of skin colour is an example of:
a. Complementary gene
b. Monogenic inheritance
c. Polygenic inheritance
d. Mendelian inheritance
7. Triticale is the product of:
a. Mutation breeding
b. Inter-generic hybridization
c. Interspecific hybridization
d. Inter-generic hybridization followed by polyploidy breeding
8. Physical method that control plant growth:
III. 9 – 12. Fill in the blanks:
9. Smallest segment of genetic material affected by mutation is _____________.
10. The occurrence of having pinna hair in man is an example of _______________.
11. ______________ is a famous garden in India.
12. ________________ is an example for a garden tool
IV. 13 – 16. State true or false:
13. Triploid plants are always sterile.
14. Proteins are not used in the synthesis of chromatin material.
15. Emasculation is not necessary for dioecious plants.
16. Colour blindness is inherited only in males.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What are complementary genes?
18. Explain co-dominance.
19. How is chiasma formed?
20. What is epistasis?
21. Explain cytoplasmic inheritance.
22. What is drip irrigation?
23. What is seed testing?
24. Name two plants propagated by cutting.
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Explain complete and incomplete linkage.
26. Explain genic balance theory of sex determination.
27. Describe two point test cross.
28. Write notes on quarantine regulations.
29. What are the agencies of plant introduction in India?
30. What are the advantages of vegetative propagation?
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Give an account of extra nuclear inheritance.
32. Explain the methods of plant breeding.
33. Describe the methods of vegetative propagation in plants.