B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, MARCH 2014
Core Course – ANGIOSPERM MORPHOLOGY, TAXONOMY AND ECONOMIC BOTANY
(Common for the programmes B.Sc. Botany Model I and Model II, 2011 Admission)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices:
1. Vincristine is extracted from:
a. Catharanthus roseus
b. Ixora coccinea
c. Datura stramonium
d. Nerium odorum
2. Most of the biological names derived from:
3. Head office of Botanical Survey of India is located at:
4. The inflorescence of Compositae is:
II. 5 – 8. State whether the following statements are True or False:
5. Species is the smallest unit of classification.
6. Gynobasic style is seen in Lamiaceae.
7. Parietal placentation is seen in Malvaceae.
8. Eclipta alba belongs to the family Asteraceae
III. 9 – 12. Name the following:
9. To which family Carthamus tinctorius belongs.
10. Name a tree in Cucurbitaceae.
11. Name the family in which the ovary is inferior.
12. Characteristic placentation in Solanum nigrum
IV. 13 – 16. Fill in the blanks:
13. Binomial of jute is ______________
14. Botanist who proposed a phylogenetic classification is_______________.
15. _______________ is the characteristic fruit of the family Poaceae.
16. Largest botanical garden is located at __________________.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. Name the characteristic fruit of Annonaceae.
18. Name the useful part in Vinca.
19. In which family obdiplostemonous condition is found?
20. What is hesperidium?
21. In which family clip mechanism of pollination is found?
22. What is coenanthium?
23. Name a non-endospermic seed.
24. What is resupination?
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Explain briefly the importance of taxonomy.
26. Describe the pollination mechanism in Crotalaria.
27. Distinguish between free central and parietal placentation.
28. What are herbaria? Mention their importance.
29. What is an aggregate fruit? Give an example.
30. What is aestivation? Explain the different types of aestivation.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Give an account of Bentham and Hookers system of classification. Mention its merits and demerits.
32. Compare the floral characters of Amaranthaceae with that of Euphorbiaceae.
33. With suitable examples, give an account of the different types of inflorescences found in angiosperms