Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS)
The JGEEBILS (Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences) test is a shared entrance test for graduate programmes in Biology and interdisciplinary life sciences. The test originated from the TIFR annual entrance test for Biology, which was used by DBS/TIFR as well as NCBS/TIFR. The motivation for this shared test is to reduce the difficulties that students faced with multiple entrance tests, and to reduce the duplication of effort by many institutions in conducting such examinations. JGEEBILS is intended to serve as a common point for students from any science discipline or engineering to start the process to apply for biology graduate programmes around India. Participating institutions contribute questions and logistical support for conducting the examination. This year the examination will be on 13 December 2015.
Each participating institution has its own admission process and eligibility criteria. The JGEEBILS test is only one step in this. In general, applicants must apply separately to each participating institution that they are interested in. Please visit the institutional websites for details of these different entrance processes.
Participating institutions in GS2016 Biology
1. Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer (ACTREC), Mumbai (http://www.actrec.gov.in/)
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) :
2. IISER Bhopal (http://www.iiserbhopal.ac.in)
3. IISER Kolkata (http://www.iiserkol.ac.in)
4. IISER Mohali (http://www.iisermohali.ac.in)
5. IISER Pune (http://www.iiserpune.ac.in)
6. IISER Thiruvananthapuram (http://www.iisertvm.ac.in)
8. Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad (http://www.ccmb.res.in)
9. Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, Hyderabad (http://www.cdfd.org.in)
10. National Brain Research Centre, Manesar (http://www.nbrc.ac.in)
11. National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bengaluru (http://www.ncbs.res.in)
12. National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi (http://www1.nii.res.in)
13. National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar (http://www.niser.ac.in)
14. Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Bengaluru (http://instem.res.in)
15. National Centre for Cell Science, Pune (http://www.nccs.res.in)
16. Department of Biological Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai (http://www.tifr.res.in/~dbs)
17. Regional Centre for Biotechnology, Faridabad (http://www.rcb.res.in)
18. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kokata (http://www.saha.ac.in)
Programmes offered at each institution:
- Ph.D. at all the listed institutions
- Integrated M.Sc. Ph.D at DBS, NCBS and IISER Pune, Kolkata
- M.Sc by Research at DBS
- M.Sc (Neuroscience) at NBRC
The written test will be held on Sunday, December 13, 2015 in the following cities: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Guwahati, Haldwani, Hyderabad, Indore, Jammu, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Srinagar, Varanasi and Vishakhapatnam
Application for JGEEBILS:
Application must be submitted online to https://www.ncbs.res.in/admissions.html. Only students from remote areas who have no access to internet may request an application form along with a self-addressed stamped (Rs. 20/-) envelope (size 25 cm X 17 cm) super scribed GS- 2016 (JGEEBILS).
Application fee (Nonrefundable):
Male applicants – Rs. 500/- for applications submitted online and Rs. 550 for applications send manually by post. Female applicants: Rs. 100/- for applications submitted online as well as for applications sent manually by post. Payment can be made online by net-banking/credit/debit cards or by Demand Draft drawn on State Bank of India. DD to be drawn in favour of “National Centre for Biological Siences” Payable at Bengaluru. Hall tickets will be issued only after receipt of application fee. Online applicants sending DD (Rs. 500/-) by post should write their reference code, name and telephone number behind the DD and send it to the address as given below. Students applying manually should send the DD for Rs. 500/- along with the filled in application form.
Address for mailing application/DD:
Admission Section, National Centre for Bilogical Sciences, TIFR, GKVK, Bellary Road, Bengaluru 560065. Enquirers: E-mail: email@example.com; Tel. 080 23666021
A waiver of application fee on grounds of financial distress may be requested by a letter from the principal or head of the department justifying the request. Students may apply online and send the waiver letter/request for the Principal/HOD (on their letter head duly signed and stamped) by post with a covering letter mentoring the reference code. Manual applicants may send the waiver letter along with the filled in application form. These requests would be considered depending on availability of seats in each centre and are not guaranteed.
Last date for receiving applications for hall tickets: October 7, 2015.
Walk-In Candidates: Some candidates without hall tickets may be admitted in seats are available. In this case the application fee is Rs. 800/- for male candidates and Rs. 200/- for female candidates (no waivers). Please be present at the centre 2 hours early and bring Demand Draft of the required amount, 2 passport-size photos and any photo identity card. The Walk-in facility is not available at Delhi
Date and time of JGEEBILS: Sunday, December 13, 2015, 2.30 PM to 4.30 PM