B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, MARCH 2014
Core Course – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
(Common for B.Sc. Botany Model I, Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology – Double Core)
Time: Three Hours, Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices Bunch I:
1. In vernalization, cold stimulus is perceived by:
a. Lateral meristems
b. Intercalary meristerms
c. Apical meristems
2. In mesophytes, earliest response of plants to water stress is
a. Decreased cellular growth and leaf area.
b. Stimulation of leaf abscission.
c. Decreased photosynthesis.
d. Decreased respiration
3. Main force for ascent of sap in higher plants is;
a. Root pressure
b. Transpiration pull
c. Atmospheric pressure
d. Capillary force
4. Water potential value are always
a. – ive
b. + ive
d. None of these
II. 5 – 8. Multiple choices Bunch II:
5. Allosteric enzymes have:
a. Active site
b. Allosteric site
d. No active site
6. Photolysis of water requires:
b. Mg 2+
c. K+ , Cl-
d. Mn2+, Cl-
7. With of the following has a(1-4) linkage in its molecule?
8. Prosthetic group of cytochrome oxidase contain
III. 5 – 8. Fill in the blanks:
9. ___________________ proposed induced fit theory of mechanism of enzyme action.
10. _______________ phytohormone is responsible for de novo synthesis of a-amylase
11. Rieske centre is ____________ complex.
12. _____________ is an example for pH indicator
IV. 9 – 12. State True or false:
13. CO2 is a antitranspirant.
14. Imbibition is the first step in absorption of mineral salts in plants.
15. Glycine is a sulfur containing amino acid.
16. Invertase hydrolases sucrose into fructose-1-phosphate and glucose.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is DPA?
18. What is an allelochemical?
19. Define phloem loading.
20. Differentiate between aerobic and anaerobic respiration.
21. Name a natural cytokinin.
22. Define buffer. Give an example.
23. What is a peptide bond?
24. What is an oligosaccharide?
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Write a short note on classification of lipids.
26. How does phytochrome mediate the photomorphogenetic response?
27. Differentiate between cyclic and noncyclic photophosphorylation.
28. Describe cohesion-adhesion theory.
29. Write a short note on plant responses to salt stress.
30. Explain the passive uptake of ions.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Describe chemical nature and characteristics of enzymes.
32. Comment briefly on glycolysis and its significance in the mechanism of respiration.
33. Outline Hutch and Slack cycle and point out differences with Calvin cycle.