MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, AUGUST 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 7 – PLANT ANATOMY AND PRINCIPLES OF ANGIOSPERM SYSTEMATICS
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. Describe the origin of branches and lateral roots in angiosperms.
2. Give a brief account on glandular tissue system.
3. Distinguish between Compression wood and Tension wood.
4. Write a short note on Xylary fibers.
5. Explain different types of leaf modifications.
6. Distinguish between parallelism and convergence with suitable examples.
7. Explain various concepts of species.
8. Briefly explain phylogenetic tree.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Describe anatomical peculiarities of CAM plants.
10. Describe physical, chemical and mechanical properties of wood.
11. Describe anatomical importance of various floral parts.
12. Explain the role of Anatomy in relation to Taxonomy.
13. Briefly explain root-stem transition with examples.
14. Give an account on typification with examples.
15. Explain molecular taxonomy with suitable examples.
16. Briefly explain the current views on the origin of Angiosperms.
17. Describe different types of fruits.
18. Describe priority of publication. Distinguish between Effective and Valid publication.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Give an account on anomalous stem.
20. With suitable diagrams, describe nodal anatomy. Explain nodal evolution.
21. Critically evaluate the phenetic and cladistics approaches in plant systematics.