MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, MARCH 2013
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 2 – MYCOLOGY AND CROP PATHOLOGY
(2012 Admission onwards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What is mycoherbicide?
2. What is an alternate host? Give an example.
3. What is Hyphopodia?
4. Explain antagonism.
5. What are sclerotia?
6. What is meant by biological control of plant disease?
7. Name the fungal parasites in animals.
8. Name two fossil fungi.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Write notes on edible fungi.
10. Explain the importance of cellulolytic and lignolytic fungi in the environment.
11. What are mycofungicides? Explain their mode of action.
12. Give an account of biochemical defense mechanism.
13. Describe fungus gardens.
14. Explain the role of mycorrhiza in plant disease management.
15. Explain altered biosynthetic pathways.
16. Give and account of nut-fall of areca nut.
17. Describe cystidia.
18. How bud-rot disease of coconut can be controlled?
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Describe the agricultural significance of fungi.
20. How plant disease can be classified?
21. Describe the fungal classification by C.J. Alexopoulos.