MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, AUGUST 2014
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 8 – GENETICS AND BIOCHEMISTRY
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What is Stern’s hypothesis?
2. Write short note on: (i) P53, (ii) QTL
3. Explain gene mapping in bacteria and bacteriophages.
4. Explain calorimetric and electrometric methods of pH measurement.
5. Distinguish between Glycoproteins and Mycoproteins.
6. What are the functions of nucleotides?
7. Explain Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
8. Discuss various factors affecting enzyme activity.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Write short note on: (i) Genetic equilibrium, (ii) Genetic polymorphism.
10. Discuss polygenic inheritance with suitable examples.
11. Describe buffer action, citing suitable examples.
12. Describe the procedure of Protein sequencing by Edman degradation method.
13. Discuss cytoplasmic inheritance, citing suitable examples.
14. Explain IUB system of enzyme classification and naming.
15. Describe the structure and role of Vitamin derived co-enzymes.
16. Describe secondary structure of protein.
17. Discuss ß-oxidation of fatty acids.
18. Write notes on: (i) Michaelis-Menton Kinetics, (ii). Lineweaver Burk Plot
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Give an account on gene mapping in haploid organisms.
20. Write an essay on structure, classification and biosynthesis of amino acids.
21. Give an account on different types of enzyme inhibition