Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
M.SC. DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, JANUARY 2015
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 11 – BIOTECHNOLOGY
(2012 Admission onwards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. Write short note on: (a). Bioweapons, (b). Bioterrorism.
2. What are the ethical issues of rDNA technology?
3. Explain antigen-antibody interactions.
4. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of micro-propagation.
5. How PAM metrics is formed?
6. Explain the applications of GFP.
7. Discuss the working principles of PCR.
8. Discuss the role of microbes in the production of enzymes.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. What is biotechnology? Explain the history of biotechnology.
10. Explain the applications of genetic engineering in the field of agriculture and medicine.
11. Discuss the procedure and application of ELISA.
12. Write notes on: (a). PBR 322, (b). Automated DNA sequencing.
13. Explain the procedure and application of DNA profiling.
14. Discuss the impact of GM food on health and environment with examples.
15. Give an account on restriction enzymes. Explain its role.
16. What are cybrids? How they are produced?
17. Write short note on: (a). Embryo rescue; (b). Artificial seeds; (c). Factors influencing vascular differentiation.
18. Explain in vitro mutagenesis and its applications.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Write an essay on Genomics and Proteomics.
20. Write an essay on different types of vectors. Explain the role of vectors in biotechnology.
21. Give an account on various types of databases