Online applications are invited from qualified candidates for the GATE 2016 Examination. This time (2016) the GATE examination is organized by (organizing institute) Indian Institute of Science (IISc.) Bangalore.
About GATE Exam: GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering): An all India examination that tests the competency of a candidate in various undergraduate subjects such as Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture and also post graduate level subjects in general sciences. The one who qualify the GATE examination will be awarded with a GATE score. The GATE score of a candidate will reflects the relative performance level of that candidate in a particular subject. The GATE score is also used for direct admission to post graduate programmes (such as ME, M.Tech.) and direct Ph.D in Indian Institutes with a financial assistance from MHRD.
Important Dates to Remember for GATE 2016 Examination
GATE for Biology/Life Science Students: There are at least THREE options are there in GATE for those candidates with Biology/Life Science background.
(1). GATE in Life Sciences (XL): Students with Post Graduate degree in any branch of biological sciences can write the GATE examination in Life Science (XL). The final year students or those who are waiting for their final year results are also eligible for applying GATE.
(2). GATE in Biotechnology (BT): Candidates with B.Tech. in Biotechnology can choose Biotechnology (BT) paper.
(3). GATE in Ecology and Evolution (EY): Qualification: Post Graduation in any branch of biological sciences or B.Tech in biotechnology or life science related topics.
Eligibility for GATE Life Sciences (XL): Master degree in any branch of biological sciences. Candidates should choose Life Science (XL) paper for the examination. Under Life Sciences (XL) section, there will be three parts, part I will be Chemistry, which is compulsory. For the other two parts, the candidates can choose any two disciplines from the following streams – Biochemistry(I), Botany(J), Microbiology(K), Zoology (L) and Food technology (M). The choice of two disciplines from I to M can be made during the examination after viewing the questions. Only two optional disciplines can be answered at a time.
Application: Candidates have to register online in the respective zonal GATE website of IISc. or other seven IITs
Fee details: Fee shall be paid by online methods such as net banking, credit cards or debit cards
- Male candidates (General and OBC) : Rs. 1500.00
- Woman of any category : Rs. 750.00
- SC/ST/PD candidates : Rs. 750.00
Entrance examination: Examination will be conducted by online CBT (Computer Based Test). The examination will be held at the FN and AN session on alternate weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 31st January 2016 and 7th February 2016. The admit card of the examination will be available only through online process.
Question paper pattern (for XL): The examination consists of a single paper of 3 hour duration that contains 65 questions carrying 100 marks. Part I will be on General Aptitude (GA) containing 10 questions, Part two will be Chemistry which is compulsory. This section contains 15 questions carrying a total of 25 marks (marks distribution: 5 questions carrying 1 mark each and 10 questions carrying 2 marks each; altogether 5 + 20 = 25 marks). For each of the other sections of XL paper (Section I to M) contain 20 questions carrying 30 marks (marks distribution: 10 questions carrying one mark each and 10 questions carrying 2 marks each; altogether 10 + 20 = 30 marks). Negative marking will be there for wrong answers. The penalty for wrong answers will be like this. For 1 mark Multiple Choice Question (MCQ), 1/3 mark will be deduced for wrong answers, for 2 marks MCQ, 2/3 will be deduced for wrong answers. No negative marks will be there for the wrong answers of numerical answer type questions.
Basic Features of GATE 2016 Examination
- Examinations for all the 23 papers will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.
- Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
- GATE 2016 examinations will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 30th January 2016 and 07th February 2016. Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2016 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details regarding complete examination schedule will be notified at a later date.
- For GATE 2016 the entire process of filling up of application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc., will be online and the candidates should not send any hard copy of their application form/documents etc., to IISc or any of the IIT’s zonal GATE office.
- The payment of application fees would be through electronic mode online as well as through payment at bank counters using e-challan.
- The admit cards for GATE 2016 would be available through the online process only. Candidates can download their admit card from GATE 2016 website. No printed copy of admit cards will be posted to the candidates.
Part I: General aptitude (GA): common for all papers
- (a). Verbal ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction.
- (b). Numerical ability: numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation
Part II: Chemistry compulsory for Life Science (XL):
Part III: Select two sections from the following:
Biochemistry (I), Botany (J), Microbiology (K), Zoology (L), Food Technology (M)
Important dates to remember:
- GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) web opens: 01/09/2015
- Last date of submission of online application: 01/10/2015
- Availability of online admit cards/hall tickets: 17/12/2015
- GATE 2015 online examination: 30/01/2016 to 07/02/2016
- Result announcement: 19/03/2016
Prepare well for the exam… All the best….