B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, APRIL 2011
Complementary Course – Botany: PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
(For B.Sc. Zoology Model I)
Time: Three Hours, Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. 1 – 4. Multiple choices:
1. Ferredoxin is a:
a. Non-heme iron-protein
b. Heme-iron protein
c. Copper containing protein
d. None of these
2. Phenomenon of gravitropism can be demonstrated by using:
b. Horizontal microscope
c. Vertical microscope
3. Rhizobium enter into roots of leguminous host plant through:
a. Epidermal cells
b. Root hairs
c. Meristematic region
d. Zone of elongation
4. The apparatus used for measuring rate of transpiration is called as:
b. Poto meter
d. None of these
II. 5 – 8. Fill in the blanks:
5. The splitting up of water molecule through light energy is termed as ______.
6. ________ are perceptive region of Photoperiodic stimulus.
7. Downward translocation of organic solutes takes place through__________.
8. The halophytes which can resist a wide range of salt concentrations are called as ______.
III. 9 – 12. Answer in one word or in one sentence:
9. What is PGR?
10. Define assimilatory power.
11. Name a gaseous plant hormone.
12. What is Kranz anatomy?
IV. 13 – 16. State True or False:
13. Guttation is the removal of water vapour through vein ends of leaves.
14. Absorption band in red region shown by chlorophyll is called as soret band.
15. Indopenol is known as Hill’s oxidants.
16. Transcellular stands are seen in Xylem.
Part B (Short answer questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. Define quantasomes.
18. What is DPD?
19. Define antiranspirants.
20. What is photoblastism.
21. What is sigmoid curve?
22. What is seismonasty?
23. Give an example for resurrection plant.
24. Define denitrification.
Part C (Short essay/problem solving type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. What is vernalization? List out its significance.
26. Write a note on mass flow hypothesis.
27. Explain how and why plants usually bend towards the sources of light?
28. Describe Dixon and Jolly’s transpiration pull theory.
29. Give a brief account of factors affecting seed germination.
30. Describe various morpho-physiological adaptations by plants to combat water stress.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Explain the mechanism of carbon fixation in photosynthesis?
32. “Transpiration is a necessary evil”. Justify the statement.
33. Describe the mechanism of nitrogen fixation in nodules of leguminous plants.