B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION, MARCH 2010
Faculty of Sciences
Part III – Group IV – Botany (Main)
Paper V – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, BIOTECHNOLOGY, BIOSTATISTICS, COMPUTER APPLICATIONS AND BIOINFORMATICS
(2006 admission onwards, Regular/Failed)
Time: Three Hours; Maximum: 50 Marks
Draw diagrams only hen specified
Section A (Plant Physiology)
I. Answer any four of the following, Choose correct answer: (4 X 1 = 4 marks)
1. The first stable product of Calvin cycle is _____________
b. Oxaloacetic acid
c. Phosphoglyceric acid
2. In anaerobic respiration, the value of RQ will be ____________.
a. More than one
c. Less than one
3. The ‘Z scheme’ of photosynthetic electron transport was proposed by ________.
a. Kok et al.
b. Hill and Bendall
4. The site of ß-oxidation is _____________.
b. Glyoxysomes – Mitochondria – Cytoplasm
c. Peroxisomes – Chloroplasts – Cytoplasm
5. The opening and closing of flowers represent a kind of ____________.
a. Autonomic movement
b. Tropic movement
c. Nastic movement
II. Answer any eight of the following: (8 X 2 = 16 marks)
6. Distinguish between water potential and DPD.
7. Explain the difference between active and passive absorption.
8. What are trace elements? How they differ from tracer element?
9. Mention the mechanism of phloem translocation.
10. Differentiate between Co-enzymes and prosthetic group.
11. What is photorespiration? How does it differ from dark respiration?
12. Give an account of symbiotic nitrogen fixation in plants.
13. What is gluconeogenesis?
14. What is oxidative phosphorylation?
15. Give an account of the physiological role of Auxins.
III. Answer any two of the following: (2 X 6 = 12 marks)
16. Give a comparative account of C3 and C4 plants.
17. Briefly explain the mechanism of enzyme action
18. Describe the mechanism of water absorption in plants.
Section B (Biotechnology)
IV. Answer any four of the following: (4 X 2 = 8 marks)
19. What is somaclonal variation?
20. What is androgenesis? Mention its significance.
21. Mention any two indirect methods of gene transfer.
22. Name the types of enzymes used in recombinant DNA technology.
23. Point out any four biotechnological outcomes aimed at human welfare.
Section C (Biostatistics, Bioinformatics and Computer Applications)
V. Answer any two of the following (2 X 1 = 2 marks)
24. List any two methods of sampling.
25. What are compilers?
26. Which is known as the google of biology?
VI. Answer any one of the following: ( 1 X 2 = 2 marks)
27. Give the names of protein databases.
28. What is a pie diagram?
VII. Answer any two of the following: (2 X 3 = 6 marks)
29. Explain the types of data.
30. Differentiate standard deviation and mean deviation.
31. Mention three types of Windows based programs.