MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, MARCH 2013
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 1 – MICROBIOLOGY AND PHYCOLOGY
(2012 Admission onwards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What are algal blooms?
2. What are the three domains of life?
3. What is the function of heterocyst?
4. Explain Koch’s postulates
5. Give two examples of symbiotic algae.
6. What is type strain?
7. What is coenobium?
8. Explain phage typing.
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. What are the biochemical characteristics useful in bacterial classification?
10. Give examples of algae used in medicine.
11. What are heterotrichous algae?
12. Write notes on algae as indicators of pollution.
13. What are isometric viruses? Give examples.
14. What are the major pigments seen in Rhodophyta?
15. Explain Lambda phages.
16. Write briefly on fossil algae.
17. Give an account of mycoplasmas.
18. Describe the harmful effects of algae.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Explain the techniques used for the maintenance and preservation of pure cultures.
20. Describe the role of algae in the productivity of marine environment.
21. Give an account of the classification of bacteria according to Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology.