MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, AUGUST 2013
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 8 – GENETICS AND BIOCHEMISTRY
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. Explain gene mapping in Neurospora
2. Describe the following: (a). Cytoplasmic inheritance, (b). Gene pool
3. Explain the method to determine human genetic disease by pedigree analysis.
4. Write a short note on viral oncogenes.
5. What is Dixon plant?
6. Explain the role of FMN in ETS.
7. Write a shot note on Lectins.
8. Discuss the following: (a). Biotin, (b). Isozymes
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. Describe various factors that alter allelic frequencies.
10. Explain polygenic inheritance.
11. Briefly explain Tumor suppressor genes and its functions.
12. “ATP is the energy currency of cell” – Explain.
13. Explain Ramachandran plot and its applications.
14. Describe various types of Enzyme inhibitions.
15. Describe various pathways of biosynthesis of nucleotides.
16. Describe the mechanism of enzyme activity.
17. What are buffers? Explain its action.
18. Discuss the role of NAD+, NADP+ and FAD.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Explain Hardy-Weinberg law. Discuss its applications.
20. Write an essay on secondary metabolites.
21. Describe the structure and functions of Cellulose, Starch and Glycogen.