MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
M.Sc. BOTANY DEGREE (CSS) EXAMINATION, MARCH, 2013
Faculty of Sciences, Branch VI – Botany
PC 4 – ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY
(2012 Admission on-wards)
Time: Three Hours Maximum Weight: 30
I. Answer any six of the following in not less than 50 words. Weight 1 each
1. What is subsistence density?
2. What are bio-filters?
3. What is ecological niche?
4. What are RET species?
5. What are ecotypes?
6. What is meant by bioaugmentation?
7. What is a climax community?
8. What are e-wastes?
II. Answer any seven of the following in not less than 100 words. Weight 2 each
9. What are the ecological consequences of overpopulation?
10. Write notes on ecological pyramid.
11. Explain the concept of climax communities.
12. Explain natality and mortality.
13. Write notes on nutrient cycles.
14. What are the major causes of water pollution?
15. Give a brief account of plant associations.
16. Write briefly about sustainable development.
17. Describe the use of bio-reactors in waste management.
18. Explain El-Nino and La-Nina phenomenon.
III. Answer any two of the following in not less than 250 words. Weight 5 each
19. Describe the role of biotechnology in conservation of species.
20. Give an account of the positive and negative impacts of eco-tourism.
21. Explain the dynamic system of classification proposed by Clement.