B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, OCTOBER 2013
Core Course – GENETICS, PLANT BREEDING AND HORTICULTURE
(Common for B.Sc. Botany Model I., Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology (Double Core) 2011 Admission]
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. Multiple Choice Questions, Bunch I
1. Dihybrid F2 phenotypic ratio is
a. 3 : 1
b. 9 : 3 : 3 : 1
c. 1 : 1 : 1 : 1
d. 1 : 1
2. In monosomy the chromosome number is:
a. 2n + 1
b. 2n + 2
c. 2n – 1
d. 2n – 2
3. Plastid inheritance in Mirabilis was invented by:
4. Which of the following is developed through mutation?
c. Ganga 101
d. None of these
II. Multiple Choice Questions, Bunch I
5. Sugarcane Breeding Institute is located at
6. Which of the following is not a tillage tool?
7. Hormone that increase intermodal length:
8. The optimum humidity is maintained in
a. Net frames
b. Glass houses
c. Green houses
d. Mist chambers
III. Fill in the blanks/MCQ:
9. The reappearance of a remote ancestral character in the progeny is called _________
10. Points of contact between two non-sister chromatids are called __________
11. Girdling is:
a. Removal of cambium
b. Removal of Phloem
c. Removal of strip of bark
d. Removal of bud
12. A composite is resulted from:
d. None of those
IV. State whether True or False:
13. There is not crossing over between members of a multiple allelic series.
14. Descendants of genetically pure and self-fertilizing individuals are called clones
15. A cross between F1 hybrids with one of the parents is called a single cross.
16. Callus is developed from the cambium of scion.
Part B (Short Answer Questions)
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is an allele?
18. Differentiate between Dominance and Epistasis.
19. What is meant by criss-cross inheritance?
20. What are cytogenes?
21. Expand NBPGR.
22. What are holandric genes?
23. What is a pureline?
24. Name any two ornamental gardens of national importance in South India.
Part C (Short Essay/Problem Solving Type)
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. What are complementary genes? Explain with an example.
26. Give a brief account of polygenic inheritance.
27. Explain genic balance theory.
28. Differentiate between Hedges and Edges.
29. What are the objectives of plant breeding?
30. Write a short note on heterosis breeding.
Part D (Essay type)
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Explain extra nuclear inheritance with suitable example.
32. Give a detailed account of landscape gardening.
33. Describe the methods of hybridization for self-pollinated crops.