MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY, KOTTAYAM, KERALA
B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER 2014
Core Course 1 – METHODOLOGY AND PERSPECTIVES OF SCIENCE AND AN INTRODUCTION TO THE WORLD OF PLANT DIVERSITY
(Common for Programmes of B.Sc. Botany Model I, Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology [Double Core])
Time: Three Hours Maximum: 60 Marks
Part A (Short answer questions)
Answer all questions
Each questions carries 1 mark (8 X 1 = 8 marks)
1. What is Molality?
2. What is the meaning of scientia?
3. What is Empiricism?
4. What are the different types of Knowledge?
5. What is meant by experimental error?
6. Which groups of plants are called ‘Amphibians of Plant Kingdom’?
7. Mention any two characteristics of Cyanobacteria.
8. Define theory.
Part B (Brief Answer question)
Answers any Six of the following
Each question carries 2 mark (6 x 2 = 12 marks)
9. What are nucleosides?
10. Mention any two differences between mitosis and meiosis.
11. What is vivipary?
12. What are epiphytes?
13. What is a hypha?
14. What are the applications of buffers?
15. Differentiate between information and knowledge.
16. Mention the various methods of data collection for statistical purposes.
17. What is null hypothesis?
18. Mention the habitats of Fungi.
Part C (Problem/Derivations)
Answer any four questions
Each question carries 4 marks (4 X 4 = 16 marks)
19. Write a short note on Randomized Block Design.
20. Enlist any four adaptations of halophytes.
21. Mention the importance of statistical tools in the study of science.
22. Describe the types of vasculature found in Pteridophytes.
23. Write a short note on Lichens
24. Explain the alternation of generation in Bryophytes.
Part D (Long answer/Problem questions)
Answer any two questions
Each question carries 12 marks (12 X 2 = 24 marks)
25. What is scientific method? Describe the steps involved in scientific method.
26. Write an essay on interactions in the plant world.
27. Explain the alternation of generation in Bryophytes.
28. Write a note on the evolutionary trend in the plant world