B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER 2012
Core Course – METHODOLOGY AND PERSPECTIVES OF SCIENCE AND AN INTRODUCTION TO THE WORLD OF PLANT DIVERSITY
[Common for the Programmes of B.Sc. Botany Model I., Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology (Double Core)]
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. Fill in the blanks:
1. ___________ is the source of biofuel.
2. ___________ is an example for cyanobacteria.
3. The simplest form of a substance is called _____________.
4. Chromosomes are the carriers of _____________.
II. State True or False:
5. Epiphytes produce haustoria.
6. Clasping roots are characteristic of climbers.
7. Pteridophytes are called vascular cryptogams.
8. Circinate vernation is seen in bryophytes.
III. Match the following:
9. RBD – Conduction of water
10. Stomata – Growth
11. Xylem – Transpiration
12. Mitosis – Experimental design
IV. Name the following:
13. The cell that lacks a true nucleus.
14. Give the name of an epiphyte.
15. Power house of the cell.
16. Vegetative vultures of plant kingdom.
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is data?
18. What is a normal solution?
19. What is the need of a control in experiment?
20. What is a primary data?
21. What are autotrophs?
22. Give the binomial and family of a medicinal plant.
23. Give an example for plant animal interaction.
24. Explain the significance of sexual reproduction in plants.
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Give an account of the pigments seen in algae.
26. What are the different types of lichens?
27. Briefly explain the types of nitrogenous bases seen in nucleic acids.
28. Differentiate gymnosperms and angiosperms.
29. Write a note on the special structures which contribute to the development of fruit.
30. Give an account of the ethics in science.
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Explain the steps to be followed during the course of an experiment.
32. Explain the Eichler’s classification of Eukaryotes.
33. Describe the need of statistical tools in experimentation in science.