B.Sc. DEGREE (C.B.C.S.S.) EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER 2011
Core Course – METHODOLOGY AND PERSPECTIVES OF SCIENCE AND AN INTRODUCTION TO THE WORLD OF PLANT DIVERSITY
[Common for the Programmes of B.Sc. Botany Model I., Model II and B.Sc. Botany and Biotechnology (Double Core)]
Time: Three Hours; Maximum Weight: 25
Part A (Objective Type Questions)
Answer all questions
Each bunch of four questions carries a weight of 1 (4 X 1 = 4)
I. Fill in the blanks:
1. Gregor Johan Mendel called the unit of heredity as _______________.
2. Charles Darwin proposed the theory of ______________.
3. An untreated group in an experiment is called ______________.
4. RBD is an experimental _______________.
II. State True or False:
5. Translocation of water in plants is through their xylem vessels.
6. In experiments more than one replication is preferred.
7. One per cent solution of 10 g of a solute dissolved in 100 ml of a solvent.
8. The Bryophytes are considered as the amphibians of the plant kingdom.
III. Match the following:
9. Chromosomes – Leaf
10. Phloem – Carriers of genes
11. Xylem – Growth
12. Mitosis – Water conduction
– Food conduction
IV. Name the following:
13. Interpretation of analyzed data in experiments.
14. Bits of information collected during an experiment.
15. The vegetative cultures of plant kingdom.
16. The only autotrophs in the whole earth.
Write short answers on any five of the following
Each question carries a weight of 1. (5 x 1 = 5)
17. What is the need of replications in experiments?
18. Distinguish eukaryote from prokaryote.
19. What do you mean by a testable hypothesis?
20. Briefly describe the contribution of Charles Darwin in the field of biology?
21. Distinguish the gametophyte from that of the sporophyte.
22. Give an example of plant and microbial interaction
23. What do you mean by a homozygous dominant character?
24. Explain how Pteridophytes succeeded the land habit?
Write Short Essays of the following, Answer any four questions,
Each question carries a weight of 2 (4 X 2 = 8)
25. Distinguish gymnosperms from that of angiosperms.
26. Describe the diversity of pigments seen in Algae.
27. Explain the major differences between plants and animals.
28. Briefly describe the advantages of seed habit in plants.
29. Explain alternation of generation with a general schematic diagram.
30. Explain the types of genetic material seen in the living world.
Write essays of the following, Answer any two questions
Each question carries a weight of 4 (2 X 4 = 8)
31. Explain the sequential steps to be followed during the course of an experiment to provide a meaningful result.
32. Explain the types of cell division that you have studied with suitable diagrams.
33. Explain how the Phanerogams successfully succeeded to live in different geographical conditions of our planet.