B.Sc. DEGREE (SUPPLEMENTARY) EXAMINATION, DECEMBER 2009
Faculty of Sciences
Part III – Subsidiary Botany
Paper II – ANGIOSPERM TAXONOMY, ECONOMIC BOTANY, ANATOMY, ECOLOGY AND APPLIED BOTANY
(2006 Admission onwards)
Time: Three Hours; Maximum: 48 Marks
Section A (Taxonomy)
I. Answer any four of the following: (4 X 1 = 4 marks)
1. Name a family with aggregate fruit.
2. Give the botanical name of rubber.
3. What is caryopsis?
4. What is syngenecious condition?
5. What is descendingly imbricate aestivation?
II. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 2 = 6 marks)
6. What is obdiplostamenous condition? Name a family in which it is seen.
7. Explain cyathium inflorescence.
8. Describe different types of aestivation.
9. Write notes on exalbuminous seeds with examples.
III. Answer any one of the following: (1 X 6 = 6marks)
10. Explain the floral characters of the family Rutaceae.
11. Describe briefly the procedure involved in the preparation of herbarium sheets.
Section B (Economic Botany and Applied Botany)
IV. Answer any four of the following: (4 X 1 = 4 marks)
12. What is apospory?
13. What is mutation breeding?
14. Write notes on grafting.
15. Give the botanical name of tea.
16. Name the family in which pepper belongs.
V. Answer any three of the following: (3 X 2 = 6 marks)
17. Differentiate parthenogenesis and parthenocarpy.
18. Explain the procedure of hybridization.
19. Write notes on artificial seeds.
20. Give the botanical name and family of wheat and groundnut.
VI. Answer any one of the following: (1 X 6 = 6 marks)
21. Discuss the medicinal value of the following plants: (a) Vinca, (b) Neem, (c). Phyllanthus
22. Describe the tissue culture technique. Mention its applications.
Section C (Anatomy and Ecology)
VII. Answer any four of the following (4 X 1 = 4 marks)
23. What are raphides?
24. What is sieve tube?
25. Define periderm.
26. What are annual rings?
27. What are Bulliform cells?
VIII. Answer any three of the following: ( 3 X 2 = 6 marks)
28. What are the ecological adaptations of epiphytes?
29. Explain the role of cambium in grafting.
30. Differentiate simple pit and bordered pit.
31. Write notes on leaf abscission
IX. Answer any one of the following: (1 X 6 = 6 marks)
32. Explain the histological features of a dicot system with the help of a labeled diagram.
33. Explain the adaptations of xerophytes.